Mallory and her family have been coming to the studio for a few months now, this is part of her story about weight gain and weight loss
Society will find some part of you to call out. Whether it be your weight, your appearance, or the way you choose to live your life
While cortisol is an important and helpful part of the body’s response to stress, it’s important that the body’s relaxation response to be activated so the body’s functions can return to normal following a stressful event. Unfortunately, in our current high-stress culture, the body’s stress response is activated so often that the body doesn’t always have a chance to return to normal, resulting in a state of chronic stress.
Higher and more prolonged levels of cortisol in the bloodstream (like those associated with chronic stress) have been shown to have negative effects, such as:
- Impaired cognitive performance
- Suppressed thyroid function
- Blood sugar imbalances such as hyperglycemia
- Decreased bone density
- Decrease in muscle tissue
- Higher blood pressure
- Lowered immunity and inflammatory responses in the body, slowed wound healing, and other health consequences
- Increased abdominal fat, which is associated with a greater amount of health problems than fat deposited in other areas of the body. Some of the health problems associated with increased stomach fat are heart attacks, strokes, the development of metabolic syndrome, higher levels of “bad” cholesterol (LDL) and lower levels of “good” cholesterol (HDL), which can lead to other health problems!
To keep cortisol levels healthy and under control, the body’s relaxation response should be activated after the fight or flight response occurs. You can learn to relax your body with various stress management techniques, and you can make lifestyle changes in order to keep your body from reacting to stress in the first place. http://stress.about.com/od/stresshealth/a/cortisol.htm
Neurobiologists Dr Daniel Kirsch speaks to Chinese doctors in Sichuan, China about Western Medicine practice and his opinion of treatments
This is a copy of the talk
I BELIEVE every word he says
Re-post from BG Daily News Amplifier
Summer is near and more people will be dressing less to go out and do their daily deeds. How you feel about yourself will determine what you wear that day and all the decisions you made prior to that could effect how your feeling.
Keeping and maintaining a healthy weight is a lifestyle choice that people make while others make it hard for themselves because of what choices they have made over the past years and months. Take into consideration your daily activites and what you spend time doing during the day. The habits you have and the tasks you perform may be keeping those unwanted pounds on your body and causing you to feel and look FAT.
Beat these BAD habits to help you get toned this summer:
1. Smoking – if your smoking stop!! Bowling Green just recently passed the “no smoking” ordinance and we should all be thankful. Smoking decreases blood flow to the extremities and studies show that smokers have a higher waist to hip fat ratio than non smokers. That means that smokers tend to store more fat around the mid section and look pudgy. Fat around the chest and abs is the worst kind because it impedes organ function.
2. Drinking – Taking yourself down town to get 2 or 3 drinks after work adds more than 500 calories to your daily calorie intake and can add up to more than 5lbs a month in fat gains. Instead of meeting work collegues for drinks, meet for a workout or walk in the park, it will do the your body some good. Alcohol slows the bodies metabolism and increases the bodies signal to store fat.
3. Stress – figure out what causes stress in your life and DEAL with it. When you stress out your body releases cortisol in the blood stream and that also signals your body to store fat. Stress not only adds body fat to your midsection but can also kill you by contributing to stroke and heart attack. Take a walk or count sheep if need be, you have to decrease stress to be healthy.
4. Skipping Fruits and Vegetables – eat more fruits and veggies to lose more body fat. Getting your daily servings increases your fiber consumption which aids in digestion and prevents constipation. If your eating more fruits and vegetables then you are less likely to eat too many carbohydrates and starch. Carbs and starch are easily converted to fat when not utilized by the body shortly after eating.
5. Too much Cardio or none at all – just walking and jogging isn’t enough to reduce body fat. I tell people all the time its hard to “get in shape” without doing exercises that actually shape and contour the body. My suggestion is lift more weights. Proper weight training adds more lean muscle tissue which burns more calories when you are not working out, plus its good for your heart.
6. Not getting H2O – if your thirsty you are already dehydrated. Drinking water is vital to good health because your body can’t function without it. Knee joints, hip joints, and the spine all need fluid to operate smoothly, without proper hydration your joints can ache and cause irritation. If you feel bloated all the time, drink more water. The best diuretic is water.
7. Watching too much TV – turn off the tube, especially at night. People who sleep less than 8 hrs have an increased risk for storing more body fat. When the body is tired it will conserve energy throughout the day in order to have energy when and if its needed. If you don’t get enough sleep or exercise your body never releases stored energy (fat) so it just collects on our body and looks terrible
These are just 7 bad habits that could be wrecking your midsection and the propensity of unhappiness you have about yourself. The first step to looking good and being healthy is body awareness, without knowing your body and being mindful of what your doing you don’t stand a chance in this life.
- GT Get Fit Tip: Break the Fast (Breakfast) (dnfitness.wordpress.com)
- GT Get Fit Tip: PMS – the Philosophy (dnfitness.wordpress.com)
- GT Get Fit Tip: Protein for Breakfast (dnfitness.wordpress.com)
- GT Get Fit Tip: Sleep Hygiene (dnfitness.wordpress.com)
- GT Get Fit Tip: Beat the Heat Index (dnfitness.wordpress.com)
7 deadly habits that could be wrecking your midsection and the propensity of unhappiness you have about yourself.
- no sleep
- not enough H2O
- excess cardio
The first step to looking good and being healthy is body awareness, without knowing your body and being mindful of what you’re doing you don’t stand a chance in this life.
Get up, get fit, GET TONED!!