Being alone at the gym is no fun. If you are like me you want to get in and get a good workout but also like to see and interact with people. Walking around aimlessly not knowing what to do is the worst feeling.
If you show up regularly you will see the same people doing the same exercises each and every time . You will see guys doing arm curls, some other guys doing bench & shoulder press. Most the girls are on the elliptical & treadmills or over on the side doing some Ab machines.
When I was a personal trainer at the gym I would see new people all the time walk around not knowing what to do or even how to work the machines and if they did spend 20-30mins doing something they could have done a few more specific things to get more calorie burn out of their time. It was my job to help these people but It came with a price.
Personal trainers usually charge by the hour ($30-$99) and its hard for every day people to pay that kind of price to put their body through some pain. I enjoy group training bc its more fun to be with others and we can feed off each others energy.
I believe in a “results oriented environment” and that you can do more and learn more with other like minded individuals completing tasks and reaching goals together.
My goal is to take people that work out alone in the gym, or those that aren’t for sure what to do and provide them a place they can come to and know that after a few weeks or months that they have the opportunity to accomplish their goal, accomplish something that is real and can help their own health and well-being
That’s better than working out alone, and that’s something we can do together
End of the year I like to look back and see what has been trending and what has faded. Our market here in BG has a slight lag time to it but that’s quite alright. I keep up with other markets in bigger cities always looking to see what’s out there.
1. Certified, Educated fitness professionals – more people are graduating college and getting certified through the American College of Sports Medicine & making their way through the industry. As the field grows the quality of help will get better and away from the ex-football players, and surgeons, physical therapist owning fitness facilities
2. Strength training – as we develop more qualified trainers in BG we will have better outlets for strength training. Many women are still scared of gaining strength because they don’t want to get “too big” I still laugh when they say that to my face but as people learn the benefits of strength training on their bone density, heart & lung strength, and the ability to help your immune system stave off disease like obesity, heart attack, stroke and cancer, they will become more in to it and want to get stronger too
3. Body weight training – this is a great trend that I welcome and participate in fully myself at the studio. The rise of popular dvd’s at home like Insanity, P90x workouts have helped garner much attention to this type of training. As people learn more about fitness the dvd gives people a place to start in their home where they won’t be as embarrassed to workout like they would be in a gym
4. Children Obesity – this is a very important one. Children today are for the first time expected to die sooner than our generations before. Obesity and processed foods, and lack of physical activity is contributing to increased death rate. Kids today have clogged arteries like 40yr olds and all bc of their lifestyle. Sad thing is that they get it honestly from their own parents who are ticking heart attack and stroke bombs just waiting to happen as well
5. Fitness Programs for Baby Boomers – as they grow older having programs for them is a must. They are mostly retiring with more income and wanting to spend their money wisely. The idea used to be retire to Florida, but with the economy now staying closer to home is more viable
6. Personal training – of course I’m bias on this one but I believe the future of health and fitness will get away from going to the big gym & doctor and be more about going to your personal trainer so you don’t get sick or broken down in the first place!!
7. Functional fitness – this class is great and Allison does a wonderful job at BGBYBC doing various workouts that involve people training and working out different muscle groups to improve daily living functions
8. Core training – the core consist of all the muscles in the lower back and Abs. Always important and most back pain is caused by tight hamstrings anyways so focusing on the core area with stretching will be a big deal in 2013
9. Group personal training – this is my bread and butter with my business. Having the benefits of a personal trainer in a small group you still get the personal attention and save big bucks on group pricing
10. Work-site health promotions – this going to be one of my bigger focuses on 2013 as well. I have a couple of little programs I want to implement but I have to get out and start doing instead of talking about it. These programs take the fitness benefits to your work so you don’t have to dedicate time after work. When the employer is on board and making these programs accessible, everybody in the company wins
That was my quick rundown of what will be hot 2013 – here’s my short list of whats not so hot or fading in 2013
1. Zumba – great for dance enthusiasts but with the saturation and competition from instructors they are racing to the bottom with cheaper pricing and loss of value & importance of what it’s all really about
2. Spinning – not as popular as in the 1980’s and with the increase of prostate and back issues this class is fading
3. Sports specific training – just coming to BG (D1) as a “business venture” to some affluent folks here I believe it will not last because our market isn’t quite big enough at their current price point
4. Physicians referrals – more physicians are paying more money for college and specializing in specific disease – Without “sick”
people coming to their office they wont have money to pay bills so helping people be pro-active and preventing disease is not their forte
5. Yoga – still one of my personal favorites for stretching and relaxing the weight loss benefits just aren’t there. Hot Yoga is great but only a specific clientel participate in that environment and it’s not for everyday people. it’s too hot, to sweaty and scantily clad for most
Any questions, comments or concerns please let me know
Here is a list of hits I’ve gotten on my website up to this year and what topic people are coming to read about
I think this is great because I believe most people do not train or eat correctly for their body type and therefore they get frustrated and go on to just accept the fact they are overweight and give up doing anything about it
They quit the “healthy bandwagon”
|male body types||270|
|fat vs muscle||194|
- GT Get Fit Tip: Train for Your Body Type (dnfitness.wordpress.com)
Gym Memberships have their advantages no doubt about that. Some of my best clients come from the gym bc they are overwhelmed with all the equipment, people and not knowing exactly what to do.
The whole reason I opened my training studio was to cut out the middle man and make personal trainers more accessible to everyday people.
New Years and Spring Break are around the corner and those every day people are going to want to be in shape, they need some good workouts to get that “beach body” some will want it more than others but the difference will be made in what you do from now till then.
It’s my job, I’m ready for this, are you?
I hope you make it out to vote today
Even more, I hope that you don’t vote for and get a bunch of broken promises for your effort
Something I have been saying since I moved to Bowling Green in 1998, I am going to run for Mayor 2016, my name will be on the ballot in 2016, that I promise!!
Another promise I am making to all my clients and standing by is that for the next 16 days (including Mon) it is my mission to help you this Thanksgiving be one you can enjoy without feeling guilty or being hard on yourself.
The next 16 days of workouts I am certain you will burn at least 600-800 calories a workout, if you just show up & complete the structured exercises you will have burned all the calories you can eat for a bountiful thanksgiving dinner.
The average person eats a total of 5000-6000 calories all day on Thanksgiving & You have the opportunity to burn around 7ooo calories showing up and doing about 9 workouts till Thurs
That is something you can count on and believe!!