Category Archives: About Me
Saturday workouts are like eating steak & eggs for breakfast – You don’t always have to but when you do, you just feel so much better!!
I weigh every single morning almost
Mom’s gain baby weight during pregnancy and so do Dads
I have video proof
today I want to post and say something a little more personal. I usually post “business” stuff or things related to health & fitness on my blog & Facebook to motivate & teach the folks at the studio
My posts aren’t for everyone and I know that, plus there is ample room for improvement which makes me very happy as well
I have met so many different people doing personal training in Bowling Green (the mom, dad, wife, kids, girlfriend, grandma-pa, the alone ones, the depressed & happy ones, also the sick, weak, mentally, socially and physically challenged ones too. Don’t forget the lairs, cheaters, rich, poor, religious & atheist to name a few) I am so amazed and blessed to meet you
Most important though and the one I appreciate most about my work dealing with everyday people, and that’s the excuses. I heard them all especially when it comes to this 10 day food challenge
You wouldn’t believe the excuses people give to me why they can’t eat better quality foods!!
It actually infuriates me, what earthly human being would not benefit from healthy daily nourishment to their body and why?
If you have an answer or comment please share – I can list some excuses for you to so maybe you can have a better one next time – Haha jk!!
My best month of total fat loss as a personal trainer was 212lbs/fat January of 2009
This month in June we may not hit more than -50lbs/fat for the whole month
I’m actually proud of that, most my clients have been on VACATION and having FUN!!!
The smoking ban ordinance in Bowling Green takes effect in about 60 days and has been in the works since 2007. Finally our city commissioners got together and made a statement that will effect the health of our people.
Both my mom and dad smoked when I was a child and I have suffered my whole life because of it.
- Beryllium (a toxic metal)
- 1,3–Butadiene (a hazardous gas)
- Chromium (a metallic element)
- Ethylene oxide
- Nickel (a metallic element)
- Polonium-210 (a radioactive chemical element)
- Vinyl chloride
Other toxic chemicals in secondhand smoke are suspected to cause cancer, including (1):
I breathed these chemicals from the time I was an infant till I left the house for college. MY own mother and father put me in harm’s way of these chemicals on purpose.
My own personal health problems that stem from second hand smoke exposer are respiratory (asthma)
- The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has reported that secondhand smoke exposure increases the risk of lower respiratory tract infections such as bronchitis and pneumonia. The EPA estimates that between 150,000 and 300,000 annual cases of lower respiratory tract infections in infants and young children up to 18 months of age are attributable to secondhand smoke exposure. Of these cases, between 7,500 and 15,000 result in hospitalization.12
- Infants whose mothers smoke are 50 percent more likely to be hospitalized with a respiratory infection during their first year when compared to infants with nonsmoking mothers. Infants whose mothers smoke in the same room have a 56 percent higher risk of being hospitalized compared to infants whose mothers smoke in a separate room. There is a 73 percent higher risk if mothers smoke while holding their infants and a 95 percent higher risk if mothers smoke while feeding their infants.13
- Early exposure to cigarette smoke is a likely significant independent risk factor for subsequent respiratory disease. It is likely that in utero damage is compounded by increased susceptibility to the effects of continued postnatal secondhand smoke exposure.14
- Asthma attacks are perhaps the most well-known health effect of secondhand smoke exposure among children. Secondhand smoke exposure increases the frequency of episodes and the severity of symptoms in asthmatic children. The EPA estimates that 200,000 to 1,000,000 asthmatic children have their condition worsened by exposure to secondhand smoke.15
- Secondhand smoke exposure is associated with increased respiratory-related school absenteeism among children, especially those with asthma.16
- Maternal and grand maternal smoking may increase the risk of childhood asthma. Relative to children of never-smokers, children whose mothers smoked throughout the pregnancy have an elevated risk of asthma in the first five years of life. Children whose mothers quit smoking prior to the pregnancy show no increased risk.17
- Secondhand smoke exposure causes children who already have asthma to experience more frequent and severe attacks.18
- Maternal smoking, in utero and later, is significantly related to lifetime wheezing in offspring.19
There are many more:
Secondhand smoke causes other kinds of diseases and deaths
Secondhand smoke can cause harm in many ways. In the United States alone, each year it is responsible for:
- An estimated 46,000 deaths from heart disease in non-smokers who live with smokers
- About 3,400 lung cancer deaths in non-smoking adults
- Other breathing problems in non-smokers, including coughing, mucus, chest discomfort, and reduced lung function
- 50,000 to 300,000 lung infections (such as pneumonia and bronchitis) in children younger than 18 months of age, which result in 7,500 to 15,000 hospitalizations annually
- Increases in the number and severity of asthma attacks in about 200,000 to 1 million children who have asthma
- More than 750,000 middle ear infections in children
- Pregnant women exposed to secondhand smoke are also at increased risk of having low birth- weight babies.
THANK YOU FOR NOT SMOKING
- Passive smoking ’causes one in 100 deaths worldwide’ (dailymail.co.uk)
Just watched this awesome 3:43 video about Complexity and got me thinking real “simply”http://ted.com/talks/view/id/1006
Very simply the reason I get out of bed is to meet someone who’s health and well-being could benefit from my education and expertise in the human body and fitness. That’s why I took out a business loan, that’s why I bought my own exercise equipment and that is the only reason I am spending my time writing this blog (THANKS for reading)
The whole “obesity” problem boils down to one thing, If WE can get YOU to get up, get fit and get toned, then all of US win. I promise that if you make a difference in your life, someone will notice and be motivated and so excited for you that because of you they will want to make change too! We all want to be part of a successful and prosperous group.
So back to my original thought – it simply starts with one person or family member to motivate another and we will all benefit from this connected effort to better health and well-being.
All of Us can, if You will
-Being consistent over time is what matters most in fitness – not what you did 3 days ago.
-You can’t fall off the wagon if you were never moving in the first place
-Don’t put other people over yourself when you’re the one that hurts most
-You can make excuses and be miserable with what life hands you
– or Live to Give
IGOT SOME if You Need it
Quick thought before I go and do this Ab workout on Wed – (awesome morning session btw)
AB day is not about the Abs. Abs day is on Wed, I like it on Wed bc it gives me a chance to see who’s been to workout the beginning of the week and who is getting their mind right for the weekend. I can pick out the drinkers, the over eaters, and the coach potatoes left and right all day long. Guaranteed on Mon the weight will be up on the same people each week.
I hate redundancy – it kills me, I hate to see people losing the same 3-5 lbs every week. I want to move on to bigger and better goals. But it’s not about me it’s about You.
You choose to be healthy, You choose to workout, You choose to be an example for others.
To those of you who do Abs on Wed
- 10 Tummy-Tightening Tricks (lifescript.com)
I just had one of those days, the kind that when it’s all over with and your glad to be home and done with. You can kick back, relax and take the time to process it all in.
Today was that day – let me share
This mornings and evenings group came in and cut this “Ab” workout like it was chocolate cake. I have this solid little core of people who have been busting ass all summer and have lost over 300lbs combined. They have literally trained with blood, sweat and tears, not just to lose weight; that’s a result that takes place, they come train with me 3-5 days a week because they believe that as PARENTS, family, and friends they have a responsibility to make changes and maintain a standard of health to raise and grow their families, to be a producer in our society.
They believe in HEALTH AND FITNESS
I am so glad because one lady in particular has come full circle to the point she is breaking down FDA news articles for what they mean and not what they say! So HAPPY she read the article today about “high-fructose corn syrup” being changed to “corn sugar” on package labels. She made the connection that it doesn’t change the effects on peoples health, just the name on the label.
YESSS!!!! Took the words right out of my mouth, I almost hugged her neck!!!
That is why I get out of bed every day, to help educate people about what I learned through graduate research on the science of nutrition and human movement.
I think the human body is so amazing and to see people walk around diseased, malnourished, and so out of tune with their own BODY, it hurts me down inside. So bad I want to smack some people just to wake them up, instead I make them row an extra 500m – 1000m!!
You don’t know what you don’t know. I’m here to give you my opinion, with that and $.99 you can go out and get a cheeseburger.
What’s your opinion? Like belly buttons, (most) everybody’s got one.
- Corn syrup manufacturers ask FDA for a name change (americablog.com)